Ahh, shawarma made at home is such a great idea. In every household, there is at least one that loves shawarma. Serve it in pita bread, with lettuce and pickles, or with rice on the side, hummus, fries, or anything you love.
Recipe by A Chic Thing
Yields: 5 servings
500g boneless chicken breast or thighs
½ cup yogurt
½ teaspoon cumin
¼ teaspoon cardamon
¼ teaspoon cinnamon
¼ teaspoon turmeric
2 tablespoons olive oil
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vinegar
½ teaspoon black pepper
¼ teaspoon ginger
1 teaspoon coriander
3 tablespoons lemon juice
1/3 cup milk (80ml)
1¼ tablespoons cornstarch
2 cloves garlic
½ teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon cold water
1 teaspoon vinegar
1/3 cup olive oil
1. In a large bowl, mix all the marinade ingredients together.
2. Place the chicken in the bowl and coat it with the marinade.
3. Cover with a plastic wrap and put it in the fridge for one hour.
4. Heat the oven to 250 C (482 F)
5. Place the chicken on a baking tray that is covered with parchment paper.
6. Insert the tray into the oven, 5 mins per side
7. For the garlic sauce, in a small saucepan, whisk the milk and cornstarch until smooth.
8. Place it on the stove over medium-low heat until it thickens. Let it cool on the side.
9. In a food processor, add garlic, lemon juice, salt, vinegar, and cold water until well-combined. While it’s mixing, pour in the olive oil.
10. Pour the liquid over the milk/cornstarch mixture, and whisk.
11. Cut the chicken into thin slices to serve with the garlic sauce in pita bread and with the additions of your choice.
This recipe is made by the lovely A Chic Thing channel from YouTube. Her recipes and videos are absolutely amazing. Check out her channel and Instagram page. She lists the ingredients in both languages, Arabic and English. We have collaborated with her to feature her channel on our blog, and we will provide you with the written recipe and directions. Her videos are therapeutic, make sure to watch them to easily follow the instructions.